“The 20 song album covers traditional Javanese and Balinese gamelan, Asia-Pacific folk music, free jazz, and free noise…. If you have an open inquiring mind and love hearing a variety of sound, this is excellent. – muzic.net.nz“
For the first half of the year I lived in Okinawa,
and then travelled to mainland Japan,
After leaving Japan, I stopped in Wellington for a flying visit
on my way to Western Australia
I lived in Perth, Western Australia for the next two and a half years.
From Western Australia,
returned home to New Zealand
- In 2010 and 2015–2018 I’ve been a regular member of the gamelan orchestras Gamelan Padhang Moncar (Javanese style) and Gamelan Taniwha Jaya (Balinese) – a chance to immerse in a traditional music form that has a history going back over 40 years in NZ and centuries in Indonesia.
- Ngumbang comes full circle, a synthesis of my various styles, in collaboration with Emit Snake-Beings who was one of my early influences
- East to West, a movie of my travels. I performed as a solo show with a live soundtrack in the NZ Fringe Festival and took it on tour to Invercargill.
- Travelled to Fiji
We first met in high school back in New Plymouth and he played on the Marion Flow and dAdApApA sessions back in 1999. We busked and played a bunch of gigs around Wellington, released our first album in 2017, and performed a successful season in the NZ Fringe Festival in 2018.
The main project for 2018 was Other Islands: 2012-2018;
The last five (of the 20) tracks were recorded in 2018 – each in a different genre:
* a new Indonesia-inspired electro-acoustic collaboration with Emit Snake-Beings
* a solo acoustic song written by my great-great-grandfather
* a Wairarapa psychedelic country folk jam with Nat da Hatt
* a Wairarapa free noise electric drone with Campbell Kneale, maestro of the genre
* and concluding with a Fijian folk song, inspired by my visits to Fiji in 2016 and 2018
I also began to experiment with animated visuals:
Meanwhile, in live appearances in 2018 I made a return to playing solo acoustic, in Wellington and in the Wairarapa.
I also played gigs with
A compilation of highlights from these recent works is available: