Made in Suva, Fiji – the new album by Dave Black & Dr Emit Snake-Beings
“So easy to get totally lost in this music, recommend for helping with your inner peace” – Andi Verse
Indo-Fijian inspired tropical devotional avant-garde instrumentals for keyboards, ukulele, dholak, duduk, harmonicas, DIY kitchen gamelan, and video.
This was one of the last in-person international collaborations from before the world ended.
The title ‘ruasagavulu’ means ‘twenty’ in Fijian, to kick off the new decade.
recorded in Suva, Fiji, 2nd November 2019
Our first duo recording was ‘Ngumbang‘ (2015) –
a fusion of several genres and a DIY manifesto – “Pick up the pieces and make them into something new, it’s what we do…”
We also made a new Indonesia-inspired electro-acoustic track for Other Islands 2012-2018:
And Other Islands 2012-2018 concluded with a Fijian folk song, inspired by my earlier visits to Fiji in 2016 and 2018
– founder of the Hamilton Underground Film Festival, composer, musician and electrical shrine maker – is a New Zealand / British experimental filmmaker and musician who has produced over 40 independently released film soundtrack CDs and made a number of short experimental and narrative films in Spain, U.K., India, Vietnam, and New Zealand.
Past projects include:
- 2015 – Ngumbang, in collaboration with fiffdimension’s Dave Black
- / 2014 Maggotism International (on-going self-generating travelogue sound collage)
- / 2010 The construction of Karen Karnak (novel)
- / 2010 A D Normal Snakebeings Lake Train Temple
- / 2010 Oscillator Maggotman
- / 2004 Fracture Floor With Anthony Milton
- / 2003 Kaosphere Orchestra Circus Mutations
- / 2002 Kaosphere Orchestra Soundscapes For Alchemical Pilgrimage
5 thoughts on “Ruasagavulu – with Snake Beings in Fiji”